Wednesday, August 3

Day Two: Heading to Frisco


Knowing my venture from Lafayette to Frisco was going to be about six hours at the most, I took my time taking off, which in hind sight as I left in the morning realized would put me in Dallas during rush hour. But as time went by, I instead enjoyed the nearly all blue sky on the day – a complete contrast from yesterday when I drove in the rain for most of the trip, including numerous heavy storms.

Turned out the Holiday Inn Express was not actually in Breaux Bridge, but right before the little town. The choice turned out pretty good because the junction for 49 to take me north was not too far off on the east side of Lafayette. What I thought were liberal speed limits yesterday was turned up a notch today with 75 for nearly all of the 49, though construction and accidents brought the speed down in a few spots. The drive from Lafayette to Shreveport lacked anything interesting at all. The most picturesque / interesting moment was at the junction near Shreveport that takes you off toward Dallas, rising well above the other interstates.

Another three hours later I came into the greater Dallas metropolis, although about 40 miles out there was a massive logjam from a brushfire at the side of the road. It had mostly been put out by the few people handling it, but you could still see flames blazing in a half dozen spots around the half-acre or so right at the edge of the road. As we began to speed away more help arrived coming from the opposite direction, meaning the fire was a recent occurrence.


Not surprisingly, the traffic in Dallas was pretty heavy. The 365 loop that runs around the city was packed at moved pretty slow at times, though the drivers jockeyed around in what could best be described as the frenzy of a bee hive. The trip on the loop turned out pretty lengthy in itself as I curled around the northern parts of city past USL start-up locations circa 1986 like Garland and Richardson before coming to the Dallas Northern Tollway, which runs right down the middle of the city (according to the map) up into Frisco and Pizza Hut Park, which is literally about a mile off from the tollway.

After meeting up with Jason we took a quick little tour through the facility, though I did not bring my Cannon. I have a few shots of some of the trophies / memorabilia on the cell phone that I may add tomorrow (once I dig out my memory card converter. I would head off with Jason and Alysha to catch him playing in a rec hockey league game before the two of us rode off for a couple beers and a late dinner at a pretty decent bar, capping the night.

That's it for now, already 2 am.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment