Monday, January 31

Tube Review 1.31.11

Spies, lies and law is quickly becoming the theme for my Monday night television viewing. I am always conflicted when it comes to NBC. It tends to create some of the best shows, but unfortunately tends to cancel them sooner than they should far too often. It is getting to a point I find myself watching NBC shows more than the others.

8:00 – There is no choice. While I like Human Target and How I Met Your Mother, there is no competing with a new episode of Chuck. While I am very sad to see the Volkoff character perfectly played by Timothy Dalton allegedly come to an end with his capture, the episode was fantastic and the series will no doubt go down another wondrous road. I have to say, for a spy show with action and intrigue it sure does weave the theme of family into the series at its center. The ending was a very heartwarming sequence that was perfectly bundled with one of the best comedic moments in the history of the show. The re-interpretation and performance of Salt-N-Pepa’s Push It by Jeffster in the hospital during the birth of Ellie’s baby was madly genius. My sadness at the departure of Dalton though was quickly made up with the preview for the next episode, which will feature the return to the show of John Larroquette, who was brilliant as a womanizing former spy who had to teach Chuck how to be debonair in season two.

9:00 – I made the decision to skip The Cape tonight and watch Lie to Me on Fox instead. I may catch up with the superhero show on demand, but Lie to Me was pretty good. At first I thought: crap, this is a stupid co-opt of the success that The Social Network had in the theaters by basing the main character and situation on a brainy online computer programmer in a dispute with coworkers. But as the show continued with Lightman challenging the kid in a battle of intelligence and ego, the show became interesting unlike the many Law & Order recent events spoofs. The cocky attitude and smugness brought to the lead by Tim Roth is great, but really comes to the forefront with a worthy adversary. Speaking of which, the addition of Michael B. Jordan to the cast as a street-wise character with a penchant to speak the truth and his mind to Lightman is proving interesting. Jordan, also performing well a minor character on Parenthood, is beginning to really impress me with his ability.

10:00 – It still seems weird that NBC has a quirky law show on after ones about spies and superheroes, but it doesn’t matter to me because I think Harry’s Law is definitely my choice head-to-head with Hawaii Five-O, which I will continue to watch on demand. Kathy Bates continues to be brilliant, but veteran actor Christopher McDonald, playing the flashy television-ad lawyer Tommy Jefferson, is a superb counter-balance to her near gritty, but compassionate character. He was funny in the previous episode, but completely stole this one with the range he showed, going back-and-forth from the comical angle to serious waves of anger and honesty.

Catching Up on Demand – Watched Bones from the other night. With the return and stunning departure of the Gravedigger serial killer, the show was one of the better episodes I have seen of late for the series. Though they identified, allegedly, who killed her, I suspect that it will be a long-running story as the character introduced is kind of a nemesis for Booth and will be elusive to catch as well as being morally questionable.

Tape Delay – I will definitely be catching up with Human Target and Hawaii Five-O on demand, but I am really starting to fall off on my interest in The Cape.

No comments:

Post a Comment